Step by step
THE RIGHT TIME FOR SOWING HERBS
There is no perfect time for sowing herbs as you can sow them all the year. But in the time from November to January you must expect less growth.
THE RIGHT POSITION
For growing seedlings you need a bright spot like on a window ledge or in a greenhouse.
GROWING HERBS STEP BY STEP
1. Fill a planting bowl or a similar pot with COMPO SANA Potting Soil for Herbs and Seedlings and distribute the potting soil all-over before you lightly cave in it.
2. Spread the seeds equally. The seeds should not be too close to each other.
3. Afterwards you should cover the seeds with COMPO SANA potting soil for herbs filmy. Press the soil down with your hands or a small plank. Additionally you should carefully moisten the soil with a sprayer or a fine sprinkler.
4. Cover the bowl with a dome and place it on a warm spot (20 – 22 °C or 68 – 71 °F). These are the perfect conditions for germination.
5. As soon as the soil starts to dry you should carefully moisten it again.
6. 8 – 14 days later (depending on the species) there will be the first seedlings.
7. By now, the seedlings need light, but direct blazing sunlight is not advisable.
8. By the time the seedlings show their first leaves (the seed leaves) you must thin out if the seeds have been to close. If you want to grow the herbs in your garden or a flower pot, this is the time to replant them. This way the herbs can develop an optimal growth.
9. By now you can take off the cover. Always keep your herbs moist.
10. By the time the first leaves after the seed leaves appear you can use COMPO BIO Liquid fertilizer for herbs for the first time.
THE NUTRITION OF HERBS
For a healthy growth herbs need just like all plants nutrients. Nitrogen is important for the growth and the regeneration. The plant needs phosphor to form roots. Potassium strengthens the plant tissue and is important for the herbs resistibility.
It is advisable to give the plants these nutrients regularly, because only healthy herbs have the full flavor and taste better.